The hilltop of Cairnpapple, in West Lothian, was chosen as a ritual
and burial site around 2800 BC and was used until about 1500 BC. A huge
cairn was built within the western half of a henge. A concrete cover now shows
the outline of the cairn, and it is possible to descend into it by means
of a ladder to view the burials found underneath it. It is thought that its
name comes from the Gaelic carn (cairn) and the Old English popel
(a heap of loose stones).