recumbent, obscured by the other stones on the right, is almost in line with the
This lovely recumbent stone circle is locally known as the Druid's Altar, and is
located on the edge of a rocky terrace with fine views to the sea about a mile away. The word Drombeg means 'the small ridge'.
Of the original
17 pillars of smooth-sided local sandstone erected in a circle of 9.5m (31ft) in
diameter, only 13 remain. To the left of the north-east entrance is a portal stone 2.2m (7ft 2in) high; its opposite
is the 1.9m (6ft 10in) long recumbent which has two egg-shaped cup-marks (one with a ring around it). The circle stones have
been shaped to slope upwards to the recumbent itself. The midpoint of this stone was set in line with the winter soltice sunset viewed
in a conspicuous notch in the distant hills; the
alignment is good but not precise.
Excavations in 1957 and 1958 revealed cremated bones in a deliberately broken pot wrapped with thick cloth and buried
near the centre of the circle along with 80 other smashed sherds, four bits of a shale and a collection of sweepings from a pyre
(recalling similar deposits at the Scottish recumbent circle of Loanhead
About 40m (44yds) to the west of the circle are the remains of two stone-built prehistoric
huts joined by a common doorway. The smaller has a cooking place 1.5 x 1.1m (5ft x 3ft 6in) on its eastern side; this was still
in use in the 5th century AD. This prehistoric kitchen had a flagged trough in which water was boiled by dropping red-hot
stones into it. Recent tests confirmed that using this method, 70 or more gallons of water could be boiled for almost three hours.